How to Zipline at the San Diego Zoo | Simply Explained
Ziplining over the safari sounds like something that is too good to be true. Is it?
No! You can actually zipline at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park with a bird's eye view over giraffes, rhinos, and other wildlife.
What's Included in This Experience
As one of the longest ziplines in all of California, this zipline is one that you'll remember forever.
Opened in 2009, this zipline ride spans over 2/3's of a mile as riders fly 130 feet above the ground, while seeing animals from the Asian Savanna and the African Plains.
You'll travel at fast enough speeds to get a nice breeze, but slow enough where you can still enjoy the scenery and the animals that you encounter.
What You Can Expect
When you arrive to ride the zipline, you'll be pleased to know that there's several steps that you have to take prior to doing the actual experience.
- The ride attendants will help you put on all of your gear appropriately.
- You'll store all of your belongings in a safe area, where it will be waiting for you at the end of the ride.
- A safety video will be shown.
- You'll go through a 'practice' zipline called the Fledgling Run, which is a small zipline which allows you to get a feel for what you're going to experience.
- You'll then ride with your 'party' in a Safari truck up a hill to actually arrive to the zipline that you'll be riding. On the way you'll see a lot of the behind-the-scenes, and see some animals and different types of plant-life.
- During this time, the tour guide will share different types of facts regarding the park, zipline and wildlife
- Then it's time to get off of the vehicle and make your way over to the zipline
- You'll sit down, get strapped on and now it's time to enjoy this unique and amazing ride. Keep an eye for animals that you'll see!
- Near the end of the ride, the zipline will use the self-braking and giant springs for a smooth and safe stop.
- At the end of the ride, there will be ride operators waiting and once you reach the end, they'll help you get unstrapped safely.
Flightline Safari vs Deluxe Flightline Safari
There are 2 options in ziplines.
We're wishing a happy 10th birthday to Flightline Safari! Where else can you zipline and see giraffes & rhinos? pic.twitter.com/RmBMVxO98c— San Diego Zoo Safari Park (@sdzsafaripark) April 27, 2019
They're pretty similar however the Deluxe Flightline Safari also offers a tour around the Safari Park’s expansive savanna habitats by Safari truck, to learn about some of the Park's unique wildlife species.
|Flightline Safari||Deluxe Flightline Safari|
|Duration: 1 hour||Duration 1.5 hours.|
|No Tour Experience||Tour Experience|
|Zipline Experience||Zipline Experience|
Where Can I Buy Tickets
On the official San Diego Zoo Safari Park site.
It's important to know that you must have a separate admission to the park in order to ride the zipline.
Minimum age for a rider is 8 years old and children that are 8-15 years of age must be accompanied by another paying adult.
Participants must be between 60 lbs to 300 lbs.
You can find more information about their restrictions on their site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does San Diego Zoo Have a Zipline?
Yes, there is a zipline in the San Diego Zoo Safari Park called the Flightline Safari. You'll ride a practice zipline ride prior to actually riding one of the longest ziplines in all of California.