Is Butterbeer at Universal Studios Alcoholic? | Simply Explained
Butterbeer is not only one of the most popular drinks in the Wizarding World, but it's also one of the most popular drinks at Universal Studios.
With "beer" quite clearly in the popular beverage's name you might be wondering if there is an alcoholic version of Butterbeer available at Universal Studios.
We're here to break down if it's possible to get an alcoholic Butterbeer on your next trip!
What You Should Know About Butterbeer and Alcohol:
- Where Can You Buy Butterbeer?
- Is Butterbeer Alcoholic?
- Will Bartenders Put Alcohol In Your Butterbeer?
Where Can You Buy Butterbeer?
Diagon Alley (Universal Studios Florida)
There are three main locations to purchase a Butterbeer in Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida.
- The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Located in the back of Diagon Alley to the left of Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringott's in an indoor location to purchase Butterbeer and other beverages from the Wizarding World.
- The Leaky Cauldron: The iconic location from the Harry Potter books is a quick-service dining location at Universal Studios Florida serving all sorts of English foods and beverages, as well as Butterbeer. The Leaky Cauldron is to your immediate left when entering Diagon Alley.
- Butterbeer Cart: Butterbeer carts are quick ways to grab a cup of Butterbeer in Diagon Alley without having to go to a restaurant or an indoor location if you're looking for a quick drink!
Hogsmeade Village (Universal Studios Hollywood & Islands of Adventure)
At Hogsmeade Village (located at Universal Studios Hollywood in California and Islands of Adventure in Florida) there are also three main locations to purchase a Butterbeer. Occasionally during busy times of the year, an additional Butterbeer Cart will open to help keep up with demand.
- The Three Broomsticks: The iconic hangout spot of Harry, Ron, and Hermione is a popular quick-service dining location located about halfway through Hogsmeade Village on the left when entering from the primary entrance. You'll find Butterbeer served as well as fish and chips, pumpkin juice, and more!
- Hog's Head: The Hog's Head is a bar area with limited seating connected to The Three Broomsticks. The Hog's Head not only serves Butterbeer, but a variety of "regular" beers as well.
- Butterbeer Carts: Butterbeer carts are quick ways to grab a cup of Butterbeer without needing to sit down at The Three Broomsticks. While Butterbeer carts are designed for you to grab a Butterbeer on the go, the lines do tend to get long and sometimes walking up to the bar at the Hog's Head might be quicker!
Is Butterbeer Alcoholic?
Butterbeer at all of the Universal theme parks is non-alcoholic.
The beverages are designed to be family-friendly and appeal to the masses, so in the interest of having the Butterbeer suitable for children there is no alcohol in it.
Because the beverage is so sweet and popular amongst children, Universal has decided not to offer any alcoholic version of Butterbeer in addition to a non-alcoholic version to prevent any issues of children wanting to try the alcoholic version.
Will Bartenders Put Alcohol In Your Butterbeer?
You might be wondering if you can simply purchase a Butterbeer and then walk over to a bar at Universal Studios and ask your bartender to pour a shot of alcohol into it.
Bartenders and other employees are specifically instructed not to add any alcohol to a Butterbeer if asked by a guest.
This is a very strict rule at the Universal theme parks and pressuring an employee to do so will only get them in trouble and possibly cost them their job.
Universal takes alcohol consumption at its parks very seriously as they want to ensure a family-friendly experience for everyone, so it might be helpful to understand its full alcohol policy before visiting.
If you want to have an alcoholic Butterbeer you'll have to make it yourself at home!
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER AT UNIVERSAL THEME PARKS!